Who says nothing good ever came out of the 80′s?

Having refurbished quite a few bikes in the past 6 months, I have decided to pull this bike out of my shed and give it a go. Here’s a “before” picture. I got this bike brand new in 1987 or 1988 from Wooden Wheels Skate Shop in Newark, Delaware. I was about 12 years old. It’s a 1987 GT Pro Performer with the O.G.K. mag wheels. 1987 was the last year that GT manufactured in the U.S., making this bike worth more now than when it was brand new. When complete it will be all original except for the tires and grips. After I refurbish this one, I’ll probably refurb my sister’s mid 90′s purple Dyno.

1987 GT Pro Performer

1987 GT Pro Performer; Before Photo

Here’s another 80′s relic I came across recently that I’ve actually decided to keep for myself, instead of sell. It’s a Schwinn Mirada in Turquoise with color matched stem & bars. I tore it apart completely and re-cabled the bike with white housing. I put on some clear silicone Oury grips to let the color come through. It turned out too nice to sell, and I’ve instead decided to part with my Huffy Beach Cruiser, the bike that re-introduced me to cycling as an adult. While it has sentimental value, I’ll probably never ride it again, and after all, it’s a Huffy from Wallyworld. This Schwinn will become my de facto neighborhood cruiser.

1980's Schwinn Mirada MTB

1980's Schwinn Mirada MTB

1980's Schwinn Mirada MTB

1980's Schwinn Mirada MTB

8 Comments to “Who says nothing good ever came out of the 80′s?”

1. By Martin Kulakowski, December 8, 2010 @ 23:02

Sh*t, Tom! Is it the sweet cruiser you brought to the office once? I can’t remember the colors, flat black and yellow? Got a pic, is it up on Craigslist?

2. By Tom, December 8, 2010 @ 23:10

You mean the “murdered out” orange Schwinn cruiser? No, that one is not the cruiser I speak of in this post. The cruiser I’ll be selling is a green/white 6 speed Huffy Causeway cruiser from Walmart. It’s nothing pretty to look at after 2500 miles and more than a few crashes, but it’s functional and someone will appreciate it. This is what it looks like: http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/goodgnus/IMG_0103Large.jpg

3. By Jorge, July 17, 2011 @ 18:46

I just purchased one just like it of Craigslist. Great ride. I want to restore it as much as my ability will allow me. Did you paint it? I’m interested in sourcing the color, mine’s got some rusty spots that I would like to take care of.
    Great job by the way.

4. By Tom, July 18, 2011 @ 21:22

Are you speaking of the Schwinn Mirada or another bike in the post? No, I did not paint the bike. If you were able to find a Schwinn catalog on the internet it might have the color name. You could see if an automotive place could do a color match.

5. By Jorge, July 20, 2011 @ 13:27

Yeah, I meant the Schwinn Mirada. Right now I’m in the process of doing exactly what you are suggesting. There’s a PPG automotive paint shop around my area where I guess they do color matching.

6. By MIKE RAMIREZ, November 29, 2012 @ 11:58

I JUST PURCHASED FROM A THIFT STORE THE SAME BIKE,
    NOT SURE OF YEAR, BUT IT LOOKS IDENTICAL TO THE
    MIRADA ABOVE. HOW DO I TELL THE EXACT YEAR OF MFG?
    THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

7. By Tom, November 29, 2012 @ 19:16

There will be 4 numbers stamped in the head badge. The last digit of those 4 numbers is the last digit of the year in which it was made. If it ends in a 5 it could be 1965, 1975, 1985, 1995 and so on. So at that point you can pretty much figure out the decade from Schwinn catalogs online.

• Time for a Bike In, Bike Out policy | 802-BIKEGUY — January 6, 2011 @ 13:22